Thursday, December 18, 2014

New Track: "Dear Christian"

This is a track I dedicated to a kid from my hometown of Gary, Indiana named Christian Choate. One day I picked up the Gary Post-Tribune and saw this innocent kid with a face like Kurt Cobain's staring at me, compelling me to read his story. I opened the newspaper and I was completely floored by hearing about this kid who had been beaten, starved and eventually murdered by his own family, and then discarded like garbage in their backyard. I mean, personally, I'm from Gary, Indiana, one of the most violent cities in America, and former "Murder Capital" of this great land, so I'm used to hearing and knowing about death and how it affects young people, but this really for lack of a better term, "fucked with me". This wasn't gangbanging or drugs, not that those things are cool or that the people who die from those things aren't valuable, but it just seems like this is an even more cruel and injust death, because it was at the hands of the people who were supposed to be protecting him. All I can do is hope this song keeps his memory alive. Rest in Peace, Christian Choate (1995-2009)

No comments:

Post a Comment